Thursday, October 7, 2010

TV Commercials

Okay, so I was reading a post about Olive Garden commercials and how stupid they were.  That inspired me to write about the commercials that drive me nuts, so here goes.


First on the list is a sneaky commercial that lulls you into a false sense of security before hitting you with the true product behind the advertisement.  I was watching TV one day and I saw a cartoon of a woman sitting on a couch and then on a picnic blanket, feeling them both.  The commercial said, "Don't you wish everything in life was soft?" and I assumed I was in for a fabric softener commercial.  What was the real product?  Stool softener.  Thank you random commercial.  The next time I want to deposit a couch or a blanket into my toilet, I will buy your product. 


Now I get to rant about politics a bit.  So Deeds and McDonald are running against each other in Virginia for governor.  I have no clue where the candidates stand on any of the issues.  I haven't the foggiest about what they want to do for Virginia if they get elected.  All that their attack ads have been trying to convince us of is that the other is a liar, will hurt Virginia jobs, and is unfit to govern.  If that's the case, then I vote we should get Steven Colbert up here and get him elected.  Virginia would probably be a much cooler place.  The candidates might be great people for all I know, but that's the point, I DON'T know because all they seem to show are attack ads.


There is another genre of commercial that airs, without fail, while someone in my household is eating.  I call them the "feminine itch and odor" commercials.  You've probably seen these.  They are usually about vagisil cream or something equally gross.  How they managed to get the actresses to say "feminine itch and odor" without laughing or throwing up is beyond me.  I can't rag on these commercials too much however, because they come on mainly while my mom's boyfriend is in the room eating something and it's fun to watch his reactions.


Another series of commercials that bug me aren't from any brand or company in particular.  They are ads that show one brand or business, then when you finally think it's over and your show will come back on, nope, lo and behold, it's another commercial from the SAME PEOPLE.  Really, what kind of nightmarish encore is this!?!  I really don't want to know about the Jr. Bacon Cheese Whopper two times in a row.  One is quite sufficient, thank you very much.  The clincher about these is that it is usually not a fun commercial, its generally a long-winded one about something I'm too young to care about (like car insurance...ehem Allstate).  It's like being sucked into a time machine, except you don't get to meet Abraham Lincoln or look at flying ships.  Instead, you get the pleasure of hearing about the Sonic Blizzard AGAIN (which are delicious, but that's beside the point).

No comments:

Post a Comment