I am very much a romantic and I adore ideas of blissfull marriages and steadfast love. That being said, I think my view of true love does not fit a typical romantic's notions at all. Some believe that you have One True Love and that that person is the one you are meant to be with-like a soul mate, perhaps. I disagree with this idea because it is so limiting in its scope of who can provide you with romantic love and happiness.
There are vast amounts of people in the world that are viable romantic interests. Out of those hundreds of billions of people, there is a huge amount that would likely be compatible with you. I believe that if given the proper chance, you could come to love and be loved by a great number of those people. Happy marriages and a life full of love and companionship could likely be shared with most of the ones you could feasibly be in love with in this hypothetical scenario.
Finding your One True Love, to me, appears to boil down to timing and circumstance. If you meet someone at an appropriate time, fall in love with them, and are able to stay with them, then you could consider them your One True Love. However, if you met this person right before you were going to move across the country and couldn't make the long-distance relationship work, what could have been your One True Love then becomes simply an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. With them out of the picture, you will likely fall in love at a better time under better circumstances and be able to call that later person your One True Love. You could have potentially shared a loving, happy life with either of them, believing either one to be the One you were meant to be with.
Once I came to the realization that there is no one, absolutely special romantic partner per person, it took some stress out of the love game. There are so many people to love and to let love you in return. All you have to do is pick the best one you have come across and be happy with them. Don't worry that you may have missed out on your One True Love, because that person is not fixed-they can be whoever you want them to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment