Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rain and Fire

The patter of rain sounds similar to the crackling of fire.  The sound of both holds great comfort for me and taps the shoulder of my subconscious, trying to make me remember.  What it's trying to remind me of, I don't know.  But there is always magic, discovery, and nostalgia in those sounds.  I can never quite grasp what it is that I'm making a connection with when I hear them, but it's always there just the same.  What is it in those sounds that bring such curious emotions to the surface?  I can't even say what emotions I have when I listen to the snap of firewood burning or the smack of rain as it falls against the roof and the ground outside.  If I could define it, would it hold the same magic?  There is something in the rain and in the fire that make me feel like my true, secret, inner self but also like someone I do not know and may never really know-someone whose personality and abilities hold endless possibilities that cannot be contained.  I like the mystery and I like the magic.  I love that the sound of rain and fire stirs up something within me I do not understand.  The beauty of it is that I do not have to understand to experience the wonder-it is there regardless, waiting for me to stop and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment